Mt Pulag : Travel Guide, Itinerary and Budget for an Overnight trip

6:28:00 AM

So, you want to climb the third highest mountain in the Philippines, eh? But you don't know what to bring, eh? This is the first time your camping, you say? Well, look no further! This here's a guide for people who are uncertain as to what to expect on their first camp in Pulag ever!

Trail: Ambangeg


Ambangeg is the easiest out of all the available trails in Mount Pulag. If you are a beginner, you'd probably want to hike on this path. You might want to do a bit of cardio training before the hike to make the experience less lung-rupturing. Although, you won't die if you don't. The trail is mostly flat and even so you'd be doing a lot of walking. Some parts are really muddy. A pair of good shoes is definitely something good to invest in. The only challenging part would be the ascent to the peak. If you've done some cardio, then the ascent won't harm you. If no, then prepare yourself for some lung-bursting gasping afterwards.

Campsite: Ranger's Station


Ranger's Station is located further away from the peaks as opposed to Campsite 1 and Campsite 2. But as of this writing, Ranger's Station is the only camping ground available so you don't really have a choice in that area. It's not too disappointing as the Ranger's Station has everything you need for a good camping experience.  They've got tents, sleeping bags, insulation pads, headlamps, and some other necessities for sale or rent. There is food and water everywhere. And there are also toilets, which, I presume, would be disappointing for some of you who wanted the wild kind of camp experience, pit of crap and all that.

The Things I Brought


If you've read some of my old posts, you'll find that I've never camped before. I am well-versed with the list of things to bring on a day hike but I am clueless as to the essentials for an overnight camp. There are a bajillion blog posts out there that may already have the information that you need but I'm adding my list anyway.

ItemWhere I bought itOther optionsWas it useful?
Sleeping BagLagalagSandugo,
Ace Hardware,
Ranger's Station
Definitely. Unless you like the feeling of the cold slowly seeping into your joints. You can also rent/buy insulation pads for warmth.
Emergency BlanketLagalagOnlineSaved my toes from saying goodbye during the night's rest. The moisture from the tent was crawling on my legs so I had to use it. It was super effective!
HeadlampAce HardwareOnline,
Ranger's Station
Yes. I recommend that you don't be a cheapo
and get the good one. It's worth it.
Rain GearAce HardwareOnlineIt didn't rain but I got to use the waterproof pants
and it saved my lower garments from the mud and cold. Weather is one of the most unpredictable things so be sure to have your rain gear with you even if you think it won't rain.
Down Jacket
Ukay-ukay
Sports Apparel stores,
Online
I borrowed one from my Mom which she bought from an ukay-ukay/thrift store. It's heavy during the travel and hike but it will save you from the wind chill at the peak
Bonnet
Apparel stores
Japanese home storesI borrowed this again from my Mom. Good for
keeping the head and ears warm.
GlovesSurplus,
Uniqlo
Apparel stores,
Japanese home stores
I had two gloves. The pair from Uniqlo has some
sort of heat tech. The pair from Surplus was
something I bought long ago for day hikes. I combined their powers and succeeded in keeping my hands warm against the wind chill.
Socks
Apparel stores
ApparelsI had two pairs too. I wore the thick pair over the thin pair. It served me well during the camp and the stay in
the peak. 
Rubber shoes
Payless
Department stores,
Sports apparels
I am a fan of Payless Shoesource. I buy all my shoes there. So when I found a pair that says it's slip-resistant and 24/7 comfort insole, I was sold. True enough, I didn't slip even once despite the muddy path. The shoes were thick enough to protect my toes from when I tripped over the rocks. If it weren't for those lovely pair of shoes, my toenails would've all died that day. The brand is SafeTStep, if you were wondering.
Backpack
Vietnam
Department stores,
Sports apparels
My backpack is a North Face Hotshot bought in
Vietnam. During the travel, I had with me the backpack and a tote bag. During the hike, I brought the backpack and stuffed my water bottle, trail food, and jacket in it. Other things were left at camp.

I didn't buy a tent because I learned that you can rent one there. The tents are decent enough and good for two people. I chose to rent because tents are really heavy. Well, at least, for a young beautiful maiden like me.

Medical Certificate


The Medical certificate or clearance is a requirement for your Pulag Hike. They will ask for it at the DENR Station. Do make sure that your medical clearance states that you are Fit to Climb as opposed to Fit to Work or Fit for Employment.

As for me, I downloaded the template and brought it to a Medicard clinic located in Festival Mall, Alabang. They required me to go through several tests which includes laboratory, x-ray and ECG.The X-ray results will be available after two working days so you might want to work on your medical clearance at least a week before the hike. I also have an HMO card so I didn't pay for anything at the counter.

My companions got there's at Healthway,Greenbelt. Acquiring your clearance here is easy as they will not require any tests. It is quite pricey though.

And that is all, my dear reader. Some resemblance of wisdom imparted from one Pulag beginner to another. I hope that you enjoy your hike and find your perseverance rewarded in the form of a scenic view of Pulag's iconic sunrise.

You Might Also Like

0 comments