Shei's Favourite Essentials for a Day Hike

12:16:00 AM

Hi there! I'd like to share with you a list of things I have to absolutely have with me during a casual day hike. This does not include the important things that you're really supposed to bring. These are more like things that you can or cannot bring depending on your preference.

Arm & Leg warmers


I'm not really sure if this is a supposed-to-bring thing but I know people who don't use these so I'm adding this to the list. Since the Philippines is a tropical country, I don't really need extra clothing to keep me warm during a day hike. The purpose of these is to protect your extremities from getting cut from sharp weeds and from being a blood-sucking critter's next meal.
The horror
Gloves

I am the only person I know who always have a pair of gloves when going for a day hike. I have a tendency to grab on rocks and weeds because my knees are not as strong as I would like them to be. There was a time that I didn't wear my gloves and I got cut from some grass I grabbed on while getting down to lower ground. I took that as a sign and swore never to expose my bare hands to the wilderness ever again. 
They always do
Extra footwear

I don't use these during a hike. I wear them after. The sandals I wear for day hikes are terrible. There are parts that rub against the skin until it bleeds. I know I should buy a new pair and I will, but for now, I'll always bring a pair of extra footwear for the sake of my feet's comfort.
so that's why
Camera



I used to always bring my mirrorless camera, but now I only bring may camera phone with me. Besides the fact that it is less bulky, the photosphere feature on my Nexus is great. I can fool people into thinking that I have a camera capable of wide-angles. Ha ha!

No matter what your camera is or no matter how many times you've been to the same mountain, I think you should bring one just in case. You never know what you'd find.
photosphere users would understand
Walking pole

I don't actually have my own walking poles because I hear those things are pricey. The walking poles I use are from the mountain itself. Sometimes, a tour guide would cut a branch and turn it into a pole for me (I kind of feel bad for the plants though). Sometimes, I just stumble upon poles used by other hikers. I actually like it better than the kind that you can buy. It makes me feel more explore-y and more like a mage or wizard.
I wish I had the guts to really do this
And that's it, my list of essentials. I hope you learned something new from me today. Have a good day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments